Toos E-Scooters Could Be Fire Hazard; Warning Issued After 2 Die in House Fire
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 25, 2023 (HealthDay News) -- Toos electric scooters are a fire hazard and people should stop using them, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warned Monday.
The Toos Elite 60-volt electric scooters, also marketed under the name Zooz, were sold exclusively at Toos Urban Ride stores in New York and online at the Toos website.
Two people recently died in an apartment fire that local fire officials determined was caused by the lithium-ion battery in a Toos Elite 60-volt scooter, the CPSC said in a news release.
One of the victims of the fire, which happened April 10 in New York City, was 7, the CPSC said. The scooter that caused that fire was being charged by a 48-volt charger also sold by Toos.
The CPSC said the scooter has not been certified by an accredited laboratory to the UL safety standard. UL Solutions issued a public notice concerning these 48-volt chargers because they are marked with unauthorized UL certification.
Consumers should stop using the scooters, regardless of the charger used.
The business, Toos Urban Ride, has refused to recall the scooters, the CPSC said.
The company has said that it disagrees with the commission’s warning, noting the wrong-volt charger, 48-volt instead of 60-volt, was used to charge the scooter.
Toos asserts that the CPSC technical staff evaluated a Toos 60-volt scooter and “did not identify any apparent defects with the exemplar sample.”
The company also said it offered to have free safety inspections of the scooters to check battery voltage, examine the scooter’s wiring, check for physical and water damage, and make any necessary repairs, but that the CPSC rejected the offer.
The CPSC said people should only use chargers that come with products and should always be present while items are charging.
Never charge batteries for such products while sleeping, the CPSC cautioned.
Last, but not least, never throw lithium batteries into the trash or general recycling. Take them to your local battery recycler or hazardous waste collection center.
Report incidents involving the Toos scooters or chargers, or any product-related injury to the CPSC.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has more on safety and e-scooters.
SOURCE: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, news release, Oct. 23, 2023